Monday, July 17, 2017

Pondering the Post-Apocalyptic and Whether I Will Need Bridge Swings



I have finally abandoned a requirement I imposed upon myself from the very beginning of the Autarkia project.  And that was to have a mast that can fold down from a tabernacle, so that I could easily get in under the local bridges.

This stemmed from fears of a post-apocalyptic Lower Mainland BC, where in this chaos - if bridge swings were still possible at all - they would be controlled by trolls and overlords - requiring me, in the dark of night, to stealthily sneak under.

There!  I now admit that I have gone overboard in a train of thought mostly born and fed by reading to much Dmitry Orlov, James Howard Kunstler, and others.   No, I am not a doomer.

That said, I still believe that we are in for a heap of trouble nonetheless that will include predominantly a financial crisis.  I predict though, that most infrastructures (including those involved in transport) will remain intact and functional.  So, the bridges will still swing.

So to move on with getting Autarkia a sailing rig, I intend to have her masted at least this year.  I am presently making inquiries and getting quotes for a steel tube, and the cost of getting it hot dipped galvanized.

Details to come....

6 comments:

  1. Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you. I could see a time when opening a bridge requires a "user" fee, paid to your local provincial troll. On the other hand that could be far enough in the future that it is not a design consideration. My masts will be folding, but that is more to make it practical to tow it on a trailer on the highway, the other advantages are bonus. Is there a particular reason that tabernacles are no longer practical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis. It will be far simpler to put in a suitably tall mast without a tabernacle. I won't have to worry so much about weight, counterweights and such. I can make a taller, higher aspect and more powerful rig if I can do away with tilting mast concerns. Winds are so light around here that we'll need more sail than less. So far I have discovered I can buy a full length (40 feet) steel tube for about $500, have it galvanized for a couple of hundred more. If I lightly stay it Colvin style then strength calculations are less of a concern. I can at least have her masted by the fall and get on with things.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering about any splashing from the stainless bowl. Does one have to control their urine pressure to avoid laundry. I thought it looked a little shallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, wrong section. Very nice work Alan. I've been dreaming and planning one of these in my head for years. Yours just might be the inspiration I need to get building. May she provide years of relaxation for you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Robert! We use a separate pee bottle most of the time. They are made of red plastic, have a screw cap and also a gender adapter. Most marine places have them. The SS bowl is more for #1 leakage when performing #2... :-)

      Delete